By pioneering global stewardship, developing innovative ESG strategies and advocating for a financial system that works for all, the international business of Federated Hermes has been at the forefront of investment and sustainability since 1983.
With industry-leading investment, stewardship and advocacy experts, we aim to deliver Sustainable Wealth Creation that enriches investors, benefits society and preserves the environment – for current generations and those to come.
Size and scale
Leading the way
Our track record in sustainability and investment proves the depth of our heritage. Through our own innovations and collaborations with industry bodies and academia to research, verify and advance best practices, we ensure that investing sustainably is our past, present and future.
Please click on the boxes below for more information.
- Led drafting of the Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
- Driven the integration of sustainability and investment since 1983
- Defining responsible equity ownership since 2002
- Responsible property investment since 2008
- Invented proprietary ESG analysis tools
- Pioneering SDG engagement funds
- Industry’s first Responsibility Office
- One of the first asset managers to build a dedicated governance team to engage and improve companies
- Global, effective stewardship: engaging companies worldwide on issues that matter most to an international client base
- In stewardship and engagement: $1.3tn in assets under advice
- One of the largest, most experienced and diverse stewardship teams
- Saker Nusseibeh, CEO – International, awarded the CBE designation for services to responsible business in 2020
- ESG performance-contribution metrics in use
- Integration of sustainability factors effective in public and private markets
- Long-term, ongoing research proving the effectiveness of ESG and stewardship integration
- Academic research partnerships track and prove the positive impact of stewardship
- Investing for Sustainable Wealth Creation is all we do – in public and private markets worldwide
- Continuing to expand and improve our global stewardship capabilities
- Leveraging the growth of sustainability in investment to change investment for good
- Exporting our pioneering stewardship and responsibility model to new markets
- EOS at Federated Hermes is a co-leader of Climate Action 100+
- Member of 54 leading investment and sustainability organisations, and our employees sit on boards or committees that look at these issues at 33 organisations
- UK and EU government lobbyists on sustainability matters
- Saker Nusseibeh, CBE, CEO – International, founded The 300 Club to challenge the industry to truly serve end investors
- Advisors on stewardship codes in developed and emerging markets
- Lecturing on responsible investment at leading European universities
- “The Why Question”: a call to change investment to serve society as well as investors
- “Stewardship: the 2020 Vision”: a call for the investment industry to seek Sustainable Wealth Creation empowered by stewardship
- Seeking real-time ESG analysis by collaborating with fintech firms
- Academic research partnerships with leading European universities
- Our 2020 stewardship activity:
- 1,245 companies engaged
- 123,988 voting recommendations made at 11,759 meetings
- 224 public policy actions
- 85% median active share across equity strategies over three years1
- 54% of EOS engagements surpass 8 years in duration
- Regenerating inner-city areas through real-estate placemaking
- Impactful AGM interventions: Volkswagen, Hon Hai, Deutsche Bank and more
1This is calculated by Federated Hermes.
Our story as a leading responsible investor has been decades in the making – and an exciting new chapter is developing in our evolution as the international business of Federated Hermes.
We hold ourselves to the same high standards of governance that we expect of the companies we invest in and engage with.
Saker Nusseibeh, CBE
Jane E. Lambesis
Theodore W Zierden III
Saker Nusseibeh, CBE
Beyond our commitment to generating Sustainable Wealth Creation, we aim to positively influence our community through diverse partnerships:
Diversity and inclusion
Our mission is clear. It is to foster and promote a culture of inclusion which celebrates all forms of diversity, enables our people to maximise their potential, and encourages innovation and creativity. This enables us to become an employer of choice, support our wider responsibility aims and deliver Sustainable Wealth Creation for our clients.
We have a long-standing commitment to increasing diversity and inclusion in our business and acknowledge that we need to make further progress.
Our Inclusion Committee, comprised of senior members of the firm, is responsible for holding us all – including our Executive Committee – to account by reporting on our progress. In addition, our dedicated Talent & Inclusion Development Partner, with support from the Inclusion Committee, is responsible for implementing the initiatives set out in our inclusion strategy.
At the international business of Federated Hermes, we are committed to supporting a fair and ethical workplace for all our colleagues.
Gender diversity: 2021 targets
We welcome the attention that the gender pay gap reporting regulations have brought to the diversity and inclusion cause and will continue to report annually on our mean and median pay and bonus gaps. In doing so, we will interrogate the data to understand how to close these gaps.
Equal opportunities policy
We believe in equal opportunities for all and aim to ensure that no current or prospective employee is treated less favourably on the basis of their gender, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, gender identity or expression, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
Want to know more about our delivery of Sustainable Wealth Creation?
The value of investments and income from them may go down as well as up, and you may not get back the original amount invested.