Welcome to the Federated Hermes Academy – an educational hub developed by our experts for our clients and prospects seeking to understand responsible investing and how the integration of environmental, social and governance (ESG) and stewardship can help create long-term wealth sustainably.
From the basics of ESG and stewardship to impact investing and advocacy, we will equip you with the knowledge needed to navigate the landscape of acronyms and approaches used across the investment industry and discern genuine integration from greenwashing.
Watch our video
Our sustainability seminars are CPD accredited and one-hour long. Please note our seminars can be tailored to your specific requirements. If you’d like bespoke sustainability and investment training, please contact your sales representative. Otherwise, please secure your place by registering for the modules below.
The purpose of investment: ESG essentials
Since our beginnings, our purpose has always been the same: to deliver Sustainable Wealth Creation – that is, by generating wealth through investments that enriches investors, society and the environment over the long term. As investing sustainably is pushed further into the mainstream against the backdrop of the global coronavirus pandemic and the impending climate crisis, it is more important than ever to understand the purpose of investment and the often-confusing terminology being used across the industry. In this seminar, we will wade through the noise and present our sustainability and investment lexicon, spanning definitions of ESG factors to stewardship. We will also examine the different styles of responsible investing.
- A clear articulation of the purpose of the investment industry and the role of investing with sustainability and stewardship factors in fulfilling this purpose
- A clear perspective on ESG and sustainability-related terminology
- Understand the range and evolution of ESG investing approaches
Stewardship: a force for change
- Explain the role of stewardship in investment
- Understand the different approaches to carry out stewardship across asset classes
- Demonstrate stewardship in practice and the benefits achieved
A practical guide to integrating ESG and engagement insights
- Understand the why of ESG and stewardship integration
- Understand best practice in the integration of ESG and engagement insights in public and private markets
- Provide the ability to discern between greenwashing and credible ESG and stewardship integration
Delivering positive outcomes: impact investing
- Describe impact investing, the SDGs and their importance to investors
- Review the range of approaches currently available to measure impact and SDG performance
- Understand how impact investing and stewardship can deliver sustainable outcomes in practice
Advocating for a better future for investors and society
In this seminar, we will examine how asset managers can constructively engage with regulators and policymakers globally to ensure the whole economic system – and the investment industry in particular – works in the interests of investors and society as a whole. As background, we will provide a brief history of advocacy in the investment industry as well as the key changes that have occurred as a result of advocacy efforts. We will address governance, environmental, social and other market failures that may prevent the financial system from operating in the best interests of its ultimate asset owners. We will also explain how pension funds and other institutional investors can play a role in addressing the major ESG issues including climate change and inequality in different countries and sectors. Our Responsibility Office, which develops and leads the implementation of our advocacy positions, will provide a range of examples of its work.
- A history of advocacy in the investment industry
- An overview of today’s pressing public policy issues
- Understand how the investment industry can help advocate for change in the industry
Sustained thinking: our ESG knowledge hub
Our knowledge hub brings together the latest insights from our experts and thought leaders.
Sustainability in practice
The value of investments and income from them may go down as well as up, and you may not get back the original amount invested.